Muslim Youth across the world are experiencing a tremendous challenge to their identity at this time in history. The Deep Roots project exists to challenge that. Our mission is to engage each Deep Roots youth participant in a focused, intensive process of development whereby they develop roots that stabilize them in an ever changing, challenging world. Roots reinforce their faith, identity and purpose and enable them to stay strong against the forces of Islamophobia and challenges to their deen.
The Leadership Retreat is an 8 day/7 night leadership intensive whereby youth will travel to Andalucia, Spain and visit the cities of Cordoba, Granada and the Alpujarras Mountains. There, they will undergo a profound experiential learning process where we will facilitate the growth of their Roots: Heritage, Sincerity, Self-Respect, Service and Vision.
– Learning and developing the attributes of a Falcon, a great leader, with a focus on Abdulrahman I, the founder of Islamic Spain and the “Falcon of Quraysh”
– Nurturing and developing Roots through experiential learning
– Developing the skills to execute effective, sustainable work in home communities
– Practicing Service, Gratitude and Remembrance throughout the program by helping others, reflection and supplication
– Taking on team and leadership roles in the program
– Guided educational tours of Andalucia, including the great sites of Cordoba and Granada
– Learning the powerful lessons of Islamic Spain, including its achievements, & parallels with Muslim identity and Islamophobia today
– Learning about the great leaders of Islamic Spain and practicing their attributes, with a special focus on Abdulrahman I, “the falcon of Quraysh”
*Due to the new policy implemented by the Board of The Alhambra, which restricts the number of entrances, it is not possible to guarantee the visit inside the monument